Consider pairing this soup with a dollop of goat cheese, a slice of crusty French bread, white fish (halibut, cod...), or just on its own.
If you are interested in growing your own carrots, then consider heirloom seeds. Most carrot seeds can be planted in late Spring for early fall harvest, and you can plant carrot seeds every two weeks until the next summer....yep, carrots year round.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped white onion
- 4 cups chopped carrots
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons finely grated fresh peeled ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 14-ounce can coconut milk
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add the onion and sauté until translucent, about 5 minutes.
3. Add the carrots, broth, orange juice, ginger, and lemon juice; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove from the heat.
5. Puree with immersion blender or food processor, until very smooth.
6. Return the soup to the saucepan and stir in the coconut milk, salt, and pepper.
7. Reheat the soup over medium heat until hot. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve.