That doesn't mean I don't have a delectable and savory macaroni and cheese recipe for the evenings that company is over and I need to make a dish that appeals the big and little tastebuds. I always serve it alongside braised collard greens and hope for the best.
My macaroni and cheese is creamy and gooey and hits the spot. I make it once, maybe twice per year, usually when we hold our annual board game night. The dish is simple to whip up, totally scoopable and there's never leftovers...ever. Which is good because I'd lick the platter clean if there were!
- 1 pound short noodle pasta
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cheddar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Cook the pasta al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter in a small pan. Whisk in flour, salt and pepper.
- Add the milk gradually.
- Bring to a boil; reduce and allow it to simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in 3 1/2 cups of cheese.
- Combine the pasta and cheese sauce.
- Pour into a greased baking dish. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese.
- Bake for 15 minutes.