This week, we made fish sticks and coleslaw. The fish sticks are not made with an egg wash because we don't eat eggs. Eggs are gross. And they make me break out in a rash.
My daughter is one of those sushi kids who prefers raw salmon to cooked fish, but I don't always have time to run down to the rive, capture a salmon, AND have dinner on the table by 6;30. I have to get creative. I have to think in kid. And while I though of fish sticks, which is something that she has never had, kids love finger foods.
Bam! Fish sticks. But I didn't tell her that is what they are called...I think I named them baked fish goobers or something...because I don't want her visiting a friends house and saying she can have fish sticks. I know. I know. I am picky.
Anyways, here's the recipe. And this is just the recipe for the fish. I didn't keep track of my cabbagey coleslaw.
- 6 ounces haddock or cod, preferably cod.
- 1 cup cornstarch
- a small dish of soy milk or buttermilk
- salt, pepper, and any other seasonings you may want
- Cut the fish into strips.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Add the cornstarch and seasoning in a shallow bowl or a plate.
- Dredge the fish into the milk and then coat with cornstarch mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes.