My favorite way to make nachos is with ground turkey and avocado. I've provided our recipe and a few ideas for variations. And since I hate long-winded stories, let's get to it!
The House Recipe
- 1 package of ground turkey
- 1 can vegetarian refried beans
- 1/2 chopped red bell pepper
- 1/2 chopped onion
- 1 envelope of taco seasoning
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, chopped
- cilantro, chopped
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Cook the ground turkey, until it is no longer pink. Add in the pepper and onion. Cook for 5 minutes more.
- Mix in the taco seasoning according to the directions.
- Heat the refried beans.
- On a lined baking sheet, arrange the tortilla chips.
- Spoon the ground turkey and beans over the chips. Add cheddar cheese, avocado, and any other toppings you want heated up.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Pull from oven and pull the nachos off with the lining onto a wood chopping block. Serve family style at the table with cilantro and other toppings.
Other Nacho Ideas
- Turn one of these taco recipes into a nacho recipe.
- Add black olives, black beans, corn, jalapenos, or pickled onions to your nachos.
- Swap the meat for sauteed vegetables.
- Sub the ground turkey for crumbled bacon, barbacoa beef, shrimp, chorizo, soyrizo, BBQ shredded chicken, or salmon.
- Instead of shredded cheddar, try this nacho cheese sauce.