Where did the idea for this come from? Well, I have a very well-rounded, typically-vegetable loving child. In fact, as many of you know, she was raised vegan for year. That was until a family member gave her some meat, and the next thing you know the kid likes meatballs. And while I know you are saying, "Well, come on now, who's the parent in this relationship," I am inclined to say that she is :) But really, I knew that someday she'd want to eat animals. It was only a matter of time.
And hey, a few meatballs here and there aren't going to ruin her. It's not as if we're eating at Ikea.
So, in my efforts to make a meal that includes everything she needs in one bite, I developed this turkey-vegetable meatball. That way the little asshole can't tell me that she's too full for broccoli after stuffing her face with bird.
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup spinach, chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- basil for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Once mixed well, roll into desired size meatball.
- Place on sprayed baking sheet and place in oven for 20 minutes.
- Finish off in a pan of simmering marinara sauce.