- Reading and Phonics
- Science Experiment
- Art and Music
We will start getting deeper in to history with a little bit of geography this week. My goal is to begin a geography unit in several weeks; consider this a brief intro to geography before we dive into the more specific stuff.
Oh and today is Chocolate Milkshake Day! Celebrate the end of the school day with a chocolate milkshake and an apple!
- Do Saxon 3 Intermediate Lesson 6 OR Have Your Child Do the Following:
- Count Up by 10s from 0 to 100.
- Count up by 25s from 0 to 200.
- Time Worksheet
- Temperature Worksheet
- Money Worksheet
- Addition Worksheet, Worksheet, and Worksheet
- You can make addition tactile by placing dominoes on the table and have you child add the numbers together on the dominoes...sometimes we place Mexican Train Dominoes and you can only place a domino if you can add the numbers together...fun and educational.
Reading and Phonics
- Read for 30 minutes independently.
- Phonics: Double Consonants at the end of a word. This week, we are beginning to use The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Reading as a guide for our curriculum. If you don't have it, it's no big deal, but you may want to purchase it if you think you need it. Through this, our kids should gain a firm understanding on reading and English conventions.
Spelling and Writing
- Begin with introducing the spelling list for week two from my Spelling Workbook. You can download this for free from the sidebar, or purchase it in a workbook format.
- After you've read the words together a few times, do the dictation and the writing portion of the lesson. You will do this everyday this week, ending in a verbal spelling test on Friday.
- Writing Prompt: Tell me about the weather today.
- Do the "Statements" lesson in the Grammar Workbook, available as a free download in the sidebar.
- We are beginning a unit on matter. Today, we are going to do a "Sink or Float" experiment from the Evan Morr Science workbook. If you don't have this book, then the video below will help you do the experiment. You can also just get a tub of water and variety of objects. Ask your child to speculate what will sink and what will float.
- Read Ch. 6 of The History of US
- Do "Elements of Geography H8-H10" from our Social Studies book listed in the sidebar. If you don't have that, please use the video below. When you are done watching this video, ask your child to draw these features. Consider making this a week-long project.
Art and Music
- 10 minutes of piano
- We are making fall leaf creature people using sticks and leaves...
- You can also do this art: