This quarter we are really go at the cursive writing and introducing a vocabulary set (which I haven't put into this schedule). Oh and I have done my best to provide as many free resources for you as possible.
I've made a few minor adjustments as to when we do certain subjects.
Here is the breakdown:
History: Mondays(ancient history timeline), Wednesdays (American presidents/states), Fridays (geography)
Science: MWF, we do animal studies*, and on Tues/Thurs, we do major lessons
*An animal study is a picture and several sentences copied from a field guide. I recommend buying a field guide for your region and having your child select the animals. Otherwise, you can get the field guide we use and follow our progression.
- Measuring Length, Inches, and Feet
- Measuring to the Quarter-Inch
- Some and Some More Stories
- Reading a Clock to the Nearest Minute
- Ancient Egypt Timeline + read National Geographic Book
- Presidents: George Washington, John Adams, and Thomas Jefferson
- States: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas
- Week 13 of the Daily Geography Packet
- Animal Studies: Lynx, Alpine Chipmunk, American Badger
- Living vs. Nonliving Things
- Draw an animal cell and label the main parts
- Long A Vowel Combinations: AI, AY, EA, EI, EY
- Week 13 from my spelling workbook
- Write a letter to a friend or family member. Teach your child about the parts of a letter.
- Stories about comparing
- Missing numbers in subtraction
- Maps to scale
- Modeling fractions + This BOOK
- Drawing fractions
- Ancient Hebrews Timeline
- U.S. Presidents: Madison/Monroe/ J.Q. Adams
- States: California/Colorado/Connecticut/Delaware
- Geography week 14
- Animal Studies: Fisher, Arctic Fox, Bearded Seal
- Animal Classification
- The Animal Kingdom: vertebrates, invertebrates, amphibians, reptiles, bird, protozoa, etc...
- Week 14 from my spelling workbook
- Write a story about living on an imaginary planet with aliens. Be sure the child writes about the place, the aliens, and that the story progresses from beginning to middle to end.
- Using pastels or crayons, draw a picture about a rainy day. At the bottom of the picture, ask the child to describe the picture.
- Comparing fractions, part 1
- Fractions of a group
- Probability, part 1
- Fractions equal to 1
- Mixed numbers
- Equivalent fractions
- Early Europe Timeline
- Presidents: Jackson/Van Buren/Harrison/Tyler
- States: Florida/Georgia/Hawaii/Idaho
- Geography week 15
- Animal Studies: White-tailed Deer, American Bison, American Marten
- What is an Environment? Discussion of ecology and habitats
- Habitat experiments
- Learn about the forest habitat
- go/do + see/say
- Sight words: do/did/done/eat
- Long I Combinations: IE, Y+SILENT E, I
- GH and EIGH
- Week 15 from my spelling workbook
- Write a story about an adventure in the woods. Draw a picture to go with it.
- Work with primary colors to make secondary colors using paints.
- Finding fractions and mixed numbers on a number line
- Comparing fractions, part 2
- Probability, part 2
- Probability games
- Minoans/Mycenaeans Timeline
- Presidents: Polk/Taylor/Fillmore/Pierce
- Geography week 16
- Animal Studies: Brown Bear, California Sea Lion, Bobcat
- Desert Habitat
- Science Experiment
- Ocean Habitat
- Long O Combinations: OW, OE, O
- Understand how to read BUILT VS. BUILD
- Week 16 from my spelling workbook
- Write a story using two of your favorite animals.
- Length and Width
- Rectangular grid patterns
- Multiplication as repeated addition
- Multiplication table
- Classical Greece timeline
- Presidents: Buchanan/Lincoln and cover the Civil War
- Geography week 17
- synonyms + antonyms
- Sight Words: get/give/good/had
- Week 17 from my spelling workbook
- Write a poem using a rhyme scheme such as AABB or ABAB.
- Learn about Paul Signac and Pointillism.
- Make a pointillist picture
- Hellenistic World timeline
- Presidents: Johnson/Grant/Hayes/Garfield
- Underground Railroad
- States: Massachusetts/Michigan/Minnesota/Mississippi
- Geography week 18
- Animal Studies: Hooded Skunk, Humpback Whale, Narwhal
- Animal Reproduction
- pronouns + I/me
- Sight Words: has/have/he/ her
- U + SILENT E, UE, EW, UI as /OO/
- Week 18 from my spelling workbook
- Write a story about what you want to be when you grow up.
- Learn about post-impressionist painters
- Make a collage with magazine cutouts.
- Multiplication facts: 2s and 5s
- Equal groups stories, part 1
- Multiplication: square numbers
- Review the multiplication table
- Celtic Europe timeline
- Gilded Age Presidents: Arthur/Cleveland/Harrison/McKinley
- States: Missouri/Montana/Nebraska/Nevada
- Geography week 19
- compound words
- Sight words: has/have/how/into
- OO + U as short OO
- Week 19 from my spelling workbook
- Create a recipe.
- Learn about loom weaving.
- Build a loom.
- Weave a small project (scarf or hat or blanket for a doll).
- Rise of Rome timeline
- Presidents: Teddy Roosevelt/Taft/Wilson/Harding and the Progressive Era
- States: New Hampshire/New Jersey/New Mexico/New York
- Geography week 20
- combining sentences (using conjunctions)
- Sight Words: jump/let/like/live
- AW, AU, A before L, A after W as short /o/
- Week 20 from my spelling workbook
- Learn about writing paragraphs.
- Study portraits and draw portraits of family members.
- Roman Empire timeline
- Presidents: Hoover/ FDR and the Great Depression
- States: North Carolina/North Dakota/Oklahoma/Ohio
- Geography week 21
- Animal Studies: American White Pelican, Golden Eagle, Blue Jay
- Frog Life Cycle
- suffixes and prefixes
- Sight Words: may/must/new/now
- OW and OU as /OU/
- OY and OI as /OI/
- Week 21 from my spelling workbook
- Write a story about living on a farm.
- Work with different line thicknesses to draw a picture.
- Multiplication Review
- Ancient India timeline
- States: Oregon/Pennsylvania/Rhode Island/South Carolina
- Geography week 22
- Animal Studies: Rattlesnake, Caiman, Leatherback Sea Turtle
- Consumers, Producers, and Decomposers
- Science Experiment
- A + An + Homonyms
- Sight Words: of/old/once/open
- EA as short /e/
- Week 22 from my spelling workbook
- Learn about book reports and end the week by writing a book report on a small book.
- Read about impressionists.
- Make a series of greeting cards.
- Perimeter, Area, and Geometry Review
- Ancient Persia timeline
- What is Democracy?
- States: South Dakota/ Tennessee/Texas/ Utah/Vermont
- Geography week 23
- Animal Studies: Bald Eagle, Deermouse, Common Toad
- Animal Conservation
- The 5 Ws (who, what, when, where, and why) + How
- Sight words: read/saw
- O alone as short /u/
- Week 23 from my spelling workbook
- Write a story about the weather outside.
- Study graphic art.
- Make a comic book.
- Fractions and probability review
- Ancient China and Japan timelines
- Presidents: Reagan/Bush
- What is the Constitution?
- States: Virginia/Washington/West Virginia/Wisconsin/Wyoming
- Geography week 24
- Animal Studies: Long-tailed Weasle, Barn Owl, House Finch
- Science Experiment
- Story structure: plot, character. setting, hero, heroine, and a few literary devices.
- Sight Words: was/were/why
- Vowel Combination Review. Take this week to reinforce everything and fix any weaknesses.
- Week 24 from my spelling workbook
- Write your own fairy tale.
- Stretch a large sheet onto wall and create huge mural.