In honor of National Science Fiction Day, I compiled some wonderful science fiction story starters. Feel free to share them, use them, and leave comments with your own story starters. Oh, and if you are a science ficton writer with a dedicated fan base, email me at email@example.com with your query letter. I'll take a look at it.
- You are a genetic experiment designed by a rogue group that wants to use you as a weapon to overthrow the monarchy.
- You are on the run from the government because your DNA contains a mutation that may be used to start a war.
- You are abducted by aliens to another planet with superintelligent humans. The only way to get back home is to make friends with another alien.
- In modern times, a major plague destroys most of the potable water. How will you survive?
- A man claims to have psychic powers and predicts the kidnapping of your child. And he's right.
- The government reveals that the planet is dying and they will be relocating only 100,000 humans to a new planet that they've been secretly cultivating for decades.
- You are a woman submerged in our high tech world. Your dream is to live like we once did without the use of high technology.
- You buy a camera at a thrift shop. After taking pictures and having them developed, you discover that you can enter the photos and be in that spot.
- You give birth to the last human on earth and it turns out that your baby is the only human able to reproduce.
- A major earthquake wipes out all forms of communication and electricity.
If you want a bona fide source for story starters, my editor friend has a great book out ,which I've listed here.